Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos are easy to make and so crispy! In this recipe, soft tortillas are filled with a creamy chicken and cheese filling, rolled up tightly and then cooked in the air fryer until crispy and golden.
Taquitos are small, tightly rolled tacos, typically made with corn tortillas and a beef, chicken or cheese filling. This Mexican dish is often fried, but cooking them in the air fryer is easier, healthier and much less messy!(AIR FRYER CHICKEN TAQUITOS)
- Cooks faster than the oven. Taquitos need just 7-8 minutes of cook time in the air fryer, compared to 15 minutes in the oven for Baked Chicken Taquitos.
- Crispy! Air frying taquitos makes them so crispy!
- Creamy, cheesy filling. The chicken filling is creamy, perfectly seasoned and just a bit spicy.
- Dinner, snack or appetizer. These air fryer taquitos are a kid-friendly dinner idea, tasty snack or appetizer.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Cream Cheese: To make the filling creamy.
- Salsa: Adds flavor and spice. I use medium salsa.
- Seasonings: You’ll need chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder and salt.
- Shredded Cheese: I like to use a shredded Mexican cheese blend from the grocery store because it’s flavorful and saves time. You can also use shredded Monterey jack and/or cheddar cheese.
- Shredded Chicken: To cook the chicken for shredding, try Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or Crockpot Shredded Chicken. You can also use rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Tortillas: You can use corn tortillas or small flour tortillas.
- Olive Oil or Avocado Oil Spray: Lightly spray the taquitos with oil before air frying to help them to crisp up as they cook.
HOW TO MAKE TAQUITOS IN AN AIR FRYER
Make the filling. In a mixing bowl, stir together the cream cheese, salsa and seasonings. Stir in the shredded cheese and shredded cooked chicken.
Warm the tortillas. Place the tortillas between two paper towels and warm them in the microwave until they’re soft and pliable.
Roll the taquitos. Put 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture in a line across the lower third of each tortilla. Roll up as tightly as you can.
Air Fry. Preheat air fryer to 400° F. Lightly spray the taquitos with oil spray. Air fry for 5 minutes. Then flip the taquitos over and air fry for 2-3 more minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
RECIPE TIPS (AIR FRYER CHICKEN TAQUITOS)
- Soften the cream cheese to room temperature so that it will easily mix into the filling.
- Warm the tortillas, especially if you are using corn tortillas, so that they will roll up without tearing.
- Don’t overstuff taquitos. I know it can be tempting to stuff a lot of filling into each taquito, but using only about 2 tablespoons of filling per taquito will allow you to roll them up tightly so that they stay rolled while cooking.
- Cook taquitos in batches as needed. They should be in a single layer in the air fryer so that the hot air can circulate around each one as they cook. After they’re all cooked, you can stack the taquitos together in the air fryer if you need to reheat earlier batches.